The Stoner Chronicles

May 13, 2002

i'm eating generic macaroni and cheese, and drinking organic beer...but i can't drink the whole thing...i've never had a full regular can, and i think it would be near-blasphemy if I snubbed Labatt's like that...

I got my first taste of West Coast Canada today. The trip was a little over three hours, but the ride was wonderful. We had to save as much money as possible, so we opted for the non-smoking car and hotel room, someday my left lung will thank me, but at this point I really need some drugs, which probably explains my sudden amusement with alcohol, albeit soy...

I really expected Vancouver to be bigger for some reason. It is huge, but it's nothing like the documentaries you see on PBS at 3 am when you're stoned. I suppose I just automatically assumed that there would be more to it architecturally, but the cultural aspect made up for it. It's definitely a people-watching city, so many different colors...we drove by a muslim highschool, an entire secondary facility dedicated to the Islam faith. We got lost in Chinatown for a while, and it was much larger than Toronto's asian section.

I was talking to a younger guy outside of the kith show, before I found raegan and her sister. There's a level of sincerety in Canada that you really can't find anywhere in America. At first, and this is a totally american thing to say, I thought it was innocence, but now that I've been to more than one province, it's something far deeper. It's untainted heart, pure and simple, it's something I'm almost jealous of, because as a US citizen, i'll never reach that level of courtesy.

Toronto is to New York as Vancouver is to LA. It's too funny to hear someone from BC say "toronto's really laid back", and "Vancouver has more heart". I admit i'm bias to good old TO, and if I had to choose between the two of them, transportation and jet lag not withstanding...i'd still pick the CN tower of the BC Place any day...

We're going back tomorrow, and I'm almost nervous. This really is the last time i'm going to see kith live on the tour, seeing that I don't play the lottery, and I'm what you would call unemployed.

Sometimes, when I'm in a situation like this, where excitement takes over, my nerves get the best of me, and I rush it. Tonight i was throughly enjoying the show, and as bruce was doing his solo(which he changed from "bob seger" to "never trust", a refreshing and much more entertaining twist), I kept thinking about leaving, and getting back home...putting on my slippers and falling asleep on my couch, reflecting the trip and the whole kithie experience that i've been ever so fortunate to encounter. And I scare myself, that i'm gonna be that old spinster who's living in retrospect. The past pleases me more than the future, even as the present is happening, I've got the order all wrong...

i haven't smoked since thursday...i'll blame it on my soberness

Angelator damn near flipped the car when a giant bumblebee smacked her right on her head...it died on impact...and we nearly did too...she got off on some exit, and pulled up next to a log cabin that looked like something out of the Unabomber Lifetime movie...it was highly amusing, we've been getting along rather well...

It's two am here, and i'm just about ready to zonk...

tomorrow morning is Pike Market, and another 3 hour trip up to BC...hopefully the American Customs won't get flippy on me...apparently a college ID and a birth certificate isn't enough to get me by...i almost had the nerve to tell her I never got my license because i have wooden feet...but I haven't been stoned in a week...so all humorous gestures have been replaced with jonezzin for the ganja...

goodnight, sweet lynnise...i know you're the only one reading down this far....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home