The Stoner Chronicles

February 23, 2005

Just in Case you were wondering

I just found a perfectly functioning mechanical pencil at the library. I should probably pocket it before someone comes back to retrieve it. It's brand new! The pencil eraser has hardly been used, and there's a fancy rubber grip on the end of it. And it's blue, which is one of my favorite colors.
Last week in English class the "poet-in-honors-english-at-community-college" led us in a discussion about materialism, and the apparent fall of Christianity. And somehow, between talking about Darwin and Yeats, a fat-bashing session arose. The poet politely said to the teacher, "there are too many fat people around", to which I responded loudly, "I think there are too many poets around".

I hope not to be fat for long, but not because I don't love it. I was watching the discovery channel over the last holiday break, when I came across a show called "Dr. G Medical Examiner". And there was a man who died from a blood clot from complications from being fat. But the way she talked about it was so demeaning, it was pretty hard to watch. I'd like Dr. G to examine a gang member from South Central L.A., and then have her talk about how he should have never been raised in that environment, let her hear the sparks from the gold-rimmed wheelchair scraping across her front lawn. I was born to eat, like some men are born to kill themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home