The Stoner Chronicles

November 06, 2004

I love George Carlin

I've recently purchased "When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?", and this is the second book of the month I have not been able to put down. I think, if there was any one comedian, or even one man in general that shaped me in a positive way, it would be George Carlin.

I can specifically remember laying on the couch watching one of his stand up performances, and he started going on about religion. It may be hard for some people growing up without faith to believe, but I didn't know that there were other relgions, let alone people that actually didn't believe in God! I felt this hard knot in my stomach, and at about 10 years old, I realized I had been majorly jipped. Why didn't I see this before? Why didn't it make sense, better yet, why did it make sense that there's this omnipresent being in the sky that watches all, stops nothing, and demands everything?

So, then he goes "If there's a God, strike me down now!", screaming up towards the top of the stage lights. And I covered my eyes, and my nerves were tingling all over my body. I thought to myself "Yea, God, why don't you kill him?", for a second I was so angry that I couldn't wait for God to kill him. And the crowd ate it up, I think the biz would say he "killed" in that performance.

I don't want to be the person that mocks faith. Growing up poor, you know better than to fuck with the solitary hope that there is something better than the shit hole you treasure beyond words. It's the same reason I don't make fun of the lottery, it is not just a game. I usually have a real problem with liberals and their science. Science should be taught like history, "in 2003 researchers believed that bullshit bullshit bullshit was the cause of bullshit bullshit, but by 2005 this will all mean bullshit." See it's not what is said, but more of what is there to fall back on: The unstoppable American quest of who is right and who is wrong, it's going to fucking kill us all one day. And in that sense, Science and Religion are exactly the same thing. But, to get back on topic, maybe one day I can meet George Carlin, and thank him for being the very first person to inform me that entire world was not Catholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home